Title: City of Bones (Book One)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Fantasy
My Rating: 4 out 5 stars
I have finally read the first book of this series!!! Finally! Finally! Finally! And when I finished City of Bones I wondered what the heck took me so long because I really enjoyed it.
Synopsis from Goodreads:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It’s hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary’s first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It’s also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace’s world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know…
My Initial Thoughts Right After I Finished:
WAIT HOLD UP. HOLD THE **** UP!!!!!
NO THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE. CASSANDRA CLARE WHY WOULD YOU GIVE ME THIS PLOT TWIST?!?!??!?!?!?!?! WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME?!
My Thoughts Now That It’s Been A Few Hours Since I Finished:
- I thought the book had a lot of info-dumping when it came to the world, which I actually didn’t mind at all because there was a lot of dialogue and explanations. I grasped the world quicker with the info-dump rather than play a guessing game as to how things go about in this world. And I love me some major dialogue between characters, where the character is explaining all types of stuff.
- Was the plot somewhat predictable? Yes, the majority of the plot was predictable except for that ending, that ending caught me off guard. However, the predictable plot didn’t bother me because I was thoroughly enjoyed this world and it’s only book 1 out of a 6 book series. This story can really go anywhere at this point.
- I understand Clary can be a little ridiculous and at times I was like “STFU, what is wrong with you?…omg you’re such a child”…honestly though, I’ve read WORSE characters than her plus she’s a teenager with raging hormones who just got her world flipped upside down in the matter of hours. So I can surpass her.
- Loved how much I laughed out loud in this book. I LOVE BOOKS THAT MAKE ME LAUGH!!!
- I need more female characters and female friendships, I hope I get to see that in City of Ashes (Book Two). I’m not ignoring Isabelle, yes I know that she exist. However, I feel like I’ve seen Isabelle’s character in other books. You know the “don’t need anyone, I’ve been here before you, I’m a bad ass and you’re not, oh you’re such a human” type of character. I wanted to see more between Isabelle and Clary. The ending of the book gave me hope that maybe there will be a friendship between these two sometime in the near future.
- LGBTQ – YES YES YES!!!!!!!! LOVED ALL OF IT!!!! Alec baby I support you!
- The Setting? Takes place in NYC. I live in NYC and I want to thank Cassandra Clare for being so on point with EVERY LITTLE DETAIL of New York. I’ve read books where it takes place in NYC but Cassandra Clare definitely takes the cake for being spot on with locations and whereabouts.
- Characters? I like all the characters. They’re all unique and different in their own way but all mesh together perfectly.
- I absolutely loved the idea of having Nephilim, Demons, Vampires, Werewolves, Fey, Warlocks (pretty much all paranormal creatures) in one book. It was really well done.
- Will I be continuing this series? YES!!! I already started the second book.
Have you read this book? What are some of your thoughts? Let me know so we can discuss!!